Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Census
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick
Coat of Arms

Following the unification of the towns of Leighton Buzzard and Linslade in 1965, it was decided that a coat of arms should be designed for the new town. In January 1966 a Grant of Arms was made to the Leighton-Linslade Urban District Council by the Earl Marshal of England, The Duke of Norfolk on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.

The design is emblematic of both former towns. The red and gold quartering of the shield reflect the Arms of the County of Bedford and also of the De Beauchamp family, who were granted the manorality of Linslade in 1068, by William the Conqueror. The celestial crowns on the shield represent the Church of All Saints, Leighton Buzzard, and the spray of lillies at the base are representative of St. Mary's in Linslade. The bridge represents the bridge over the river Ousel, connecting Leighton Buzzard to Linslade and formerly connecting the County of Bedfordshire to the County Buckinghamshire. The ear of wheat on the keystone of the bridge reflects the farming community that historically existed in the area, with the produce being brought to market in Leighton Buzzard. The helmet on top of the shield, indicates the town as a corporate body. The two battlemented, wall shaped, crowns are heraldic references to the two towns of Leighton Buzzard and Linslade. The golden cogs issuing from these crowns represent the modern industry of the town. Astride the cogs is a Water Ousel bird, symbolic of the river Ousel, which once separated the two towns and now joins them together.

The Coat of Arms