Lake Street, Leighton Buzzard
Built in 1845, the building was originally
a Temperance Hall, and was financed by two local Quakers; Mr John
Dolin Bassett and Mrs Hannah Grant each paying equal shares in
the £1,200 contruction costs. The building served as an Adult
Education Centre for the benefit of the towns people and could
The building was later transferred to a committee of twelve members
of the Lake Street Baptist Church, and was subsequently used
for a wide variety of purposes including public meetings, dances
and concerts etc.
1n 1949 the building became the Town Library, and
it server this role until 1979, when the new purpose built Library
and Arts Centre
was opened on the opposite side of Lake Street. Lecton House is
now used as a fitness centre.