Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinslade
 
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Almshouses
Churches
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Census
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

The Forster Institute

Location
1 Waterloo Road, Linslade

History
The Forster Institute was built in 1890 at a cost £1,000 as an adult school for the education of the local working men. The building was designed by the architect J. T. Lawrence and replaced the Parish Reading Rooms in New Road. The foundation stone was laid on 11th June 1890 by Mrs C. M. Forster in memory of her late husband.

The building contains two large rooms, with the upper "lecture hall" containing a raised stage, and the downstairs a "reading and smoking room" which was at one time used for billiards.


The Forster Institute, Linslade
The Forster Institute, Linslade
 
<< other buildings index page