Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Stanbridge  |  Kimptons  |  Morrells  |  Morteynes or Reynes
Contents Menu
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Manorial History - Kimptons Manor

Kimptons manor in Stanbridge mayhave originated from land held by the Kimpton family. Their name appears in local documents as early as 1393.

The manor is held of the principal manor of Stanbridge by a yearly rent of 6s. 4d. In 1496, the manor came into the ownership of the Billington family (lords of the manor of Billington) via John Billington's daughter and heir, Joan, and her husband Edmund Haslewood. In 1527, Joan (by then a widow), and her son John conveyed the manors of Kimptons and Billington to Robert Dormer. In 1539 Robert alienated Kimptons to William Jackman of Wing, Buckinghamshire, who in 1543 settled it of himself with reversion to his three sons William, Clement, and John and their sons successively. In 1556 John Jackman (presumably the youngest son mentioned previously) quitclaimed the manor to Robert Brocas, however, Robert died the following year and consequently it was left to his son William under the wardship of his elder brother Barnard. In 1571 William relinquished to Barnard all claim to the manor, and in 1573 it was setlled on William for life with the remainder to his wife Elizabeth. Kimptons was then alienated in 1579 to Henry Honour. The Honour family owned the estate for the next 130 years, until 1712 when it was then purchased by Thomas Cowslade. By 1774 the manor was in the possession of John Cowslade, and by 1822 ownership had passed to Thomas Gilpin, however, the history of the manor between these dates is unclear.