The Congregational Chapel, Eggington
The chapel, which was originally called the Independent Chapel,
was built in 1840, and was opened on the 12th November later that year
its first pastor William Lewis. He was also the Minister of Hockliffe
The accomodation of the building was increased by
the addition of a gallery in 1842 and a schoolroom in 1844. From 1844
to 1864 a British School was run from the chapel.
The 1851 Religious Census records the chapel as having an
average attendance of 55 adults and 50 scholars in the morning and a
total of 63 for the evening service.
In 1959, following closure, the chapel was sold to the British
Legion, who converted it to a village hall. However, a few years later,
the structure began to fall into disrepair, and the use of the building
did not cover the upkeep, and it consequently closed. The building was
subsequently demolished and Tudor House was built on the site.