Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick
1864 Post Office Trade Directory - BILLINGTON

BILLINGTON is a scattered hamlet, 2 miles from Leighton Buzzard, in which parish it is for civil purposes, but forms a separate ecclesiatical parish, 6 miles from Dunstable, and 13 from Hemel Hempstead, in the union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Michael is a plainly built edifice. The register dates from 1653. The living is a donative, in the gift of the inhabitants, annual value £120, with residence; the Rev. Edward Bradshaw, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. There is a mixed National school. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. An estate was left many years back, one moiety of which is apportioned to the minister, and the other is divided between the poor and the repairs of the church. The population in 1861 was 484.

Parish Clerk, William Foster

National School, Miss Mary Ann Wren, mistress

Bradshaw Rev. Edward, M.A. [incumbent]

COMMERCIAL.
Andrews Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Ashwell Mrs. farmer
Cook William, straw dealer
Cotching Joseph, farmer
Fenn Thomas, shopkeeper
Fountain Maria (Mrs.), Cock
Griffin John, farmer
Hidgcock George, straw dealer
Potts John, farmer
Potts Thomas, blacksmith
Price Thomas, farmer
Squires Thomas, Greyhound
Turney George, farmer
Letters received through Leighton Buzzard