1890 Kelly's Directory - LEIGHTON BUZZARD
LEIGHTON BUZZARD is a union town, parish, head of a county court district and
petty sessional division, and 40.5 miles from London by railway, 20 south-west
6 south from Woburn, 14 south-west from Ampthill, 8 north-west from Dunstable,
10 from Aylesbury and 15 from Hemel Hempstead, in the Southern division of
the county, hundred of Manshead, rural deanery of Dunstable, arch-deaconry
of Bedford and diocese of Ely: the parish contains the ecclesiastical parishes
of Billington, Eggington, Heath and Reach and Stanbridge, and the market town
and township of Leighton Buzzard. The railway station is situated in the adjoining
parish of Linslade (Bucks) and is half a mile from the town; the Grand Junction
canal passes through Linslade near the river Ousel; the canal and railway
give easy communication both with the metropolis and the northern counties,
and a branch railway has been formed from here to Dunstable, a distance of
7 miles. The adjunct to the name is generally thought to be a corruption of
Beaudesert, though some have derived it from Bozard, otherwise Basart, the
name of an ancient family, one of whom was knight of the shire in the reign
of Edward III. Some have conjectured that this is the place called Lygoean
Burgh, mentioned in the Saxon Chronicles as having been taken in 571 by Cuthwulf,
brother of the King of Wessex. The town stands near the north-western border
of the county, and on the eastern bank of the Ousel, a tributary of the Ouse,
which here separates the county from Bucks; it consists of one wide and several
small streets, branching off at the Market place, and is lighted with gas,
and contains some fine buildings; water is obtained from pumps and private
The church of All Saints, formerly collegiate, is a spacious cruciform embattled structure, principally of the Early English period, and consisting of chancel with an ancient vestry on the north, nave, aisles, transepts, north, south and west porches, and a central tower with pinnacles and octagonal spire, containing 8 bells: the windows, nine of which are stained, are nearly all Perpendicular, and some have very good tracery; the chancel retains its stalls, and there is some good screen work, and an eagle lectern of wood, with traces of colour and a chain for padlock attached: there is an early font, with circular bulging basin, on a short round columnar base, surrounded by four shafts, the capitals of which are level with the rim of the basin; there are monuments to William Jackmain, gent. 1592; Francis Willis, gent. 1646, and his wife Margaret (Saunders), and Catherine, wife of Richard Whitlock, gent. 1649; the church was thoroughly restored in 1885-6, at a cost of over £3,000, defrayed by public subscriptions, including a donation of £100 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and was re-opened July 10th 1886. The register dates from the year 1562, and includes the earlier registers of Billington, Eggington, Heath and Reach, and some part of Stanbridge. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £300 gross yearly value £350, with residence, and formerly in the gift of the prebendary of Leighton Buzzard in Lincoln Cathedral, but the prebendary’s interest therein, valued at £193, has been purchased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the living is now in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and has been held since 1862 by the Rev. Thomas Wallis Richards M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, and surrogate. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners pay £120 towards the stipend of a curate in the parish, and £60 towards stipend of a second curate.
The church of St. Andrew, erected in 1866-7, at a cost of £3,800, and consecrated July 11 1867, is a building in the Early Decorated style, with some French details, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, organ chamber and a tower 110 feet high, with an octagonal belfry, surmounted by eight perforated gablets, terminating in trefoil heads: the church will contain 600 persons; all the sittings are free: it is a chapel of ease, and has an endowment of £6 yearly.
Here are Baptist (two), Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a Meeting House for the Society of Friends.
A Cemetery of 8 acres, situated in Miletree road, was formed in 1882, at a cost of about £3,000, including a mortuary chapel of stone and brick, with stained glass windows: it is under the control of a Burial Board of nine members.
The Town Hall situated near the centre of the market place, and rebuilt in 1851, is a plain structure, adorned at its western entrance and on the exterior of the south wall with ancient statues, removed from the Market Cross on its restoration: the County Court is held here monthly.
The Corn Exchange, situated in the Corn Market, and erected in 1862, at a cost, including site, of about £7,500, is a building of stone in a modern Italian style, from designs by Messrs.Bellamy and Hardy, of Lincoln: in the centre is an open tower, projecting over the pavement, the lower storey of which is arched, and upper one has carved caryatides, supporting deep frieze and a bold modillion cornice, over which a beautifully proportioned octangular turret rises to a height of about 85 feet: the assembly room, entered from a spacious landing, is capable of seating 300 to 350 persons, and attached are retiring rooms: the Exchange Hall will seat from 600 to 800 persons.
The Temperance Hall, Lake street, erected in 1845, will seat 480 persons. Meetings are on Friday at 8 p.m.
The market is held on Tuesday for the sale of corn, cattle, provisions, and other merchandise; there is also a general market for meat, fish and vegetables, on Saturdays. The fairs are generally large (for horses and cattle), and are held on February 5, second Tuesday in April, White-Tuesday, July 26, October 24, and the Tuesday following the 10th December. The wool fair is held on the first Friday in July, and is one of the largest in the county. The statute (pleasure) fair is held on the first Tuesday after the 11th October.
In the Market place is an elegant and well-known cross, in the Perpendicular style, with flat groined arches below, erected in the year 1330: near the top are five niches, containing statues of the Virgin and Child; a bearded figure, supposed to be Edwd.III; a bishop (possibly the bishop of the diocese for the time being); St.John the Baptist, with the Angus Dei and a book; and the figure of Christ as risen from the tomb: the whole terminates in a crocketed spire, the height being about 40 feet: in 1852 it was restored, at a cost of £350.
The Bank of Messrs. Bassett and Company, on the south side of the Market place, erected in 1866, from the designs of Mr.Waterhouse, is a building of Ancaster stone, in the Gothic style.
The Leighton Horticultural Society holds a show yearly in August.
The Gas Works of the Leighton Buzzard Gas and Coke Co. situated on the railway from Leighton Buzzard to Dunstable, were build in 1882, at a cost of £6,000; the whole covers an area of about 3 acres, and includes board room and offices.
The inhabitants are employed to some extent in the manufacture of straw plait.
The Working Men’s Club and Institute, situated in North street, was erected at the cost of Theodore Harris, esq. J.P. of the Cedars, from the designs of Mr.Reed, architect of London, and has a library of nearly 3,500 volumes, part of which was presented by His Grace the Duke of Bedford K.G. There is also a Biblical library of about 1,000 volumes. During the winter season cooked provisions are dispensed to invalids on payment of a small fee. The Institute is supported by its ordinary and honorary members, now (1890) about 550 in number, and by a small endowment. Through the generosity of Theodore Harris esq. J.P. the Insitute has been acquired by the town at less than one-third its cost. Amongst its principal subscribers for its purchase were the Duke of Bedford K.G. and the Marquess of Tavistock, who gave £500, and Leopold de Rothschild esq. £200: it is vested in trustees, and its affairs are managed by a president, treasurer, two vice-presidents, two secretaries, and a committee of 26 members (13 honorary and 13 working). Theodore Harris esq. J.P. president.
The Provident Dispensary, situated in North street, was established in 1875; it is managed by a committee, consiting of the officers of the Dispensary, the Clergy and Non-conformist Ministers resident in the Leighton union, the ex-officio and elected Guardians of the Poor, and some others.
Here is a charity, founded in 1630 by Edward Wilkes, and further endowed in 1692 by Matthew Wilkes; the income, amounting to £272 yearly, derived from land, is expended in placing out as apprentices two boys every other year, and maintaining almshouses for ten poor widows, each of whom receives 6s weekly, besides fuel and clothing: this charity is managed by a body of eight trustees; there are several other charities, the funds of which are distributed in bread and coal to the poor several times in the year.
At Grove, or Grovebury, in the parish of Leighton, there was anciently a priory of nuns, founded about 1169 by Henry II. and colonized from Fontevrault in Normandy; being confiscated during the wars with France, it was eventually granted to the dean and canons of Windsor; here was also, temp. Henry II. a house of Cistercian monks, subordinate to Woburn Abbey.
The manor belongs to Sir Edward Henry Hanmer bart. who holds courts leet and baron in Whitsun week and the last Thursday in October. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Sir Edward Henry Hanmer bart. Edward Lawford esq. J.P. and Francis Bassett esq. J.P.
The area of the entire parish is 8,990 acres, which includes, Billington, Eggington, Heath and Reach and Stanbridge; the area of the township is 1,700 acres; rateable value, £18,749; the population in 1881 was - of the parish 8,278, including 143 officers and inmates in the workhouse, and of the township 5,991.
Parish Clerk, John Drage, Hockliffe Street.
Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c.
POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - John Morgan Johnson, postmaster.
DELIVERIES. - 7 & 9.45 a.m. 3.30 & 6.15 p.m.; Sundays, 7 a.m. only.
DISPATCHES.- Local, 5.30 a.m.; the North, 7.35 a.m.; London, the Southern, Eastern & Western counties,
Dunstable & Luton, 8.50 a.m.; London & Southern, Eastern & Western counties, 11.30 a.m. & 12.35 p.m.; the North, 2 p.m.; London, Southern, Eastern & Western counties, Dunstable & Luton, 3.15 p.m.; London & all parts, 8.30 p.m.;London & the South, Bletchley, Dunstable & Luton, 10 p.m.
Money orders are granted & paid from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, till 8 p.m.; postal orders from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The telegraph department is open from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR LEIGHTON BUZZARD PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION
Macnamara Arthur esq. D.L. Billington manor, Leighton Buzzard, chairman.
Bassett Francis esq. The Heath, Leighton Buzzard
Bassett Frederick esq. The Knolls, Leighton Buzzard
Gilpin Peter Valentine Purcell esq. Hockliffe Lodge, Leighton Buzzard
Harris Theodore esq. The Cedars, Leighton Buzzard
Lawford Edward esq. M.D. Oriel house, Leighton Buzzard
Clerk to the Magistrates, Fredc. Thos. Tanqueray, Woburn
Petty Sessions are held at the Assembly Room, Corn Exchange, every alternate tuesday at 11 a.m.
The places in the division are Billington, Eaton Bray, Eggington, Heath & Reach, Leighton Buzzard & Stanbridge.
British Empire Mutual Life, George Garside, jun. Grove road
Commercial Union, S.R. Middleton, Grove road; F. Penton, Eynsbury, Grove road; J.H. Green
County Fire & Provident Life, W. Spendlove, Market place.
Northern, Cumberland & Hopkins, High street
Norwich Union Fire, Newton, Calcott & Calcott
Phoenix Fire, E. Glaisyer, Market sq.; F. Pewton, Grove rd.
Rock Life, F. Gotto
Royal Exchange, F & D.T. Willis, High street
Sun Fire, H. Pettit, High street
Westminster Fire, W. Broom, Hockliffe road
Bedfordshire Regiment, 3rd Volunteer Battalion (I Co.); headquarters Town hall; Major W.J. Hambling, commandant; Charles Gray, sergeant-instructor
Cemetery, Mile Tree road, Henry Pettit, High street, clerk to the burial board
County Court, His Honor William Haworth Holl Q.C. judge; John Newton & Charles Wallis Berkeley Calcott, joint registrars & acting high bailiffs; A. Ewen, Luton, official receiver in bankruptcy.
The Court is held monthly at the Town hall. The district includes the following parishes, villages, hamlets, or places:- Ascott(Bucks), Aspley Ford(Beds), Aspley Guise(Beds), Aston Ivinghoe(Bucks), Battlesden(Beds), Braggenham(Bucks), Burchmore Green(Beds), Burcott (Bucks), Chalgrave(Beds), Chalton(Beds), Cheddington (Bucks), Chelsea(Bucks), Church End(Beds), Clipstone(Beds), Crafton(Bucks), Comp End(Beds), Dagnall(Bucks), Dagnall Hill End(Bucks), Dropshort(Beds), Eaton Bray(Beds), Edlesborough(Bucks), Eggington(Beds), Fancott(Beds), Grove(Bucks), Great Billington(Beds), Heath(Beds), Heath & Reach(Beds), Hockliffe(Beds), Hollingdon(Bucks), Horton(Bucks), Hudnall(Bucks), Hulcote(Beds), Husborne Crawley(Beds), Ivinghoe(Bucks), Labor-in-Vain(Bucks), Ledburn(Bucks), Leighton Buzzard(Beds), Linslade(Bucks), Little Billington(Beds), Littleworth(Bucks), Mentmore(Bucks), Milton Bryant(Beds), Northall(Bucks), Northall South End(Bucks), Potsgrove(Beds), Reach(Beds), Ringshall(Bucks), Sand House(Beds), Salford(Beds), Seabrook(Bucks), Sheep Lane(Beds), Slapton(Bucks), Soulbury(Bucks), Southcourt(Bucks), Stanbridge(Beds), Saint Margaret(Bucks), Stewkley(Bucks), Stockgrove(Bucks), Stoke Hammond(Bucks), Tebworth(Beds), Tilsworth(Beds), Toddington(Beds), Vallence End (Beds), Wingfield(Beds), Wing(Bucks), Wingbury(Bucks), Woburn Sands(Beds), Woburn (Beds), Woodcock Hall(Beds)
Corn Exchange, Lake street, George Gibbs, hall keeper
County Police Station, Hockliffe road, William Shepherd, superintendent & deputy chief constable of Bedfordshire, 1 sergeant & 4 constables
Inland Revenue Office, John Peers, Billington road
Provident Dispensary, North street, Edward Lawford, M.D. consulting physician; John Alexander Hedges, Philip Wynter Wagstaff, Johnstone Delavil John Harris L.R.C.P. Edin. & Ernest Hamilton Wagstaff, medical officers; Robt. Tindall esq. hon.sec.; Thomas Brown, clerk; open the first 6 days in every month, between 10 & 11 a.m.
Temperance Hall, Lake st. Thomas Sanders, hallkeeper
Town Hall, Market place, Samuel Stevens, hallkeeper
LEIGHTON BUZZARD UNION
Board days every Friday fortnight at the Workhouse at 10 a.m..
The Union comprises the following places :- Billington, Cheddington(Bucks), Eaton Bray, Edlesborough(Bucks), Eggington, Grove(Bucks), Heath & Reach, Ivinghoe(Bucks), Leighton Buzzard, Linslade(Bucks), Mentmore(Bucks), Slapton(Bucks), Soulbury(Bucks), Stanbridge, Stoke Hammond(Bucks), & Wing(Bucks); the population of the union in 1881 was 18,316; rateable value, £105,990
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, John Newton, High street, Leighton Buzzard
Treasurer, Francis Bassett, The Bank, Leighton Buzzard
Relieving Officer for the Union, William George Collis, The Workhouse, Leighton Buzzard
Vaccination Officer, Thomas Brown, North street, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Leighton Buzzard & Upper districts, Henry William Adrian Sandell L.R.C.P. Edin. Leighton Buzzard
Superintendent Registrar, John Newton, High street, Leighton Buzzard; deputy, C.W.B. Calcott
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Edlesborough sub-district, Miss Priscilla Brown, Eaton Bray; deputy, Arthur Tompkins; Ivinghoe sub-district, William Rogers, Ivinghoe; deputy J.W. Keable; Leighton Buzzard district, William George Collis, The Workhouse Leighton Buzzard; deputy W.T. Clough; Wing sub-district, George Cleaver, Wing; deputy, E. Whitman
Registrar of Marriages, Alfred Blake, New Road, Linslade; deputy, C.W. Shepherd
Workhouse, erected to hold 250 inmates, Rev. Thomas Wallis Richards M.A. chaplain; Henry William Adrian Sandell L.R.C.P. Edin. Medical officer;John William Hallett, master; Mrs. Catherine Hallett, matron; Miss Adelaide Sickell, schoolmistress
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY
Meets at the Workhouse, every Friday fortnight at 11 a.m.
Parochial Committee, consisting of Chairman & 12 members, is annually elected at the first meeting of the Board of Guardians; it superintends the sanitary arrangements of the parish, & a committee similarly constituted forms the Board of Surveyors of the Highways
Clerk, John Newton, High street, Leighton Buzzard
Treasurer, Francis Bassett, The Bank, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer of Health, Henry William Adrian Sandell L.R.C.P. Edin. Member of Sanitary Institute, The Workhouse, Leighton Buzzard
Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, Thomas Brown, North street, Leighton Buzzard
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE
Meets at the Workhouse, every month, Friday at 11 a.m.
Clerk, John Newton, High street, Leighton Buzzard
Attendance Officer, Walter Francis Broom, Heath & Reach
Assistant Overseer, Thomas Brown, North street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Walter Pratt L.R.C.P. Edin. Bridge street
Clerk to the Commissions of Taxes & to the Magistrates for the South division of the Three Hundreds of Cottesloe, John Newton, High street
Collector of Assessed & Property Tax & of Poor Rates, Thomas Brown, North Street
Collector of Market Tolls, Samuel Stevens, St. Andrew’s st.
Inland Revenue Officer, John Peers, Billington Road
Assistant Bailiffs, Samuel Stevens & Henry James Stevens, St. Andrew’s street
Town Crier, John Stairs, North street
Superintendent of Police, William Shepherd
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services :-
All Saints’ Church, Church Square, Rev.Thomas Wallis Richards M.A. vicar; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. & wed. & saints’ days 11 a.m. & 7 p.m.
St. Andrews Church, Church street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Friend’s Meeting House, North street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 10.30 a.m.
Baptist, Hockliffe street, Rev. George Durrell, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. & mon. & wed. evening service
Baptist, Lake street, Rev. William Delf Elliston, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, North street, Rev. George Mitchell, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. & wed. 7 p.m.
Wesleyan, Hockliffe street, Rev. John Mack, Rev.William T. Jones & Rev. John R.Newall, ministers; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon. & thurs. 7.30 p.m.
Salvation Army Head Quarters, Lake street
Pulford Endowed (for boys & girls). The buildings of this School, founded in Church Square in 1710 by Joshua Pulford, now in Parsonage close, re-erected in 1884, from the designs of Mr. Frederick Gotto of Leighton, at a cost of about £1,700, are of native sandstone with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, & include a master’s house; has an income of £90 yearly from the endowment; the school built to hold 300; average attendance, 105 boys & 110 girls; Henry Willis, Master; Miss Elsie Wallis, assisted by Miss Alice Meager, mistress
St. Andrews (boys & girls), North street, built in 1872 from the designs of Mr. Frederick Gotto, at a cost £1,300, for 200 children; average attendance, 95 boys & 98 girls; George Cousins, master; Edward Rose, assistant; Mrs. Louisa Rose, mistress
British (girls & infants), Bassett road, built in 1813 & enlarged in 1873, for 180 girls; average attendance, 132; Miss Jane Eliza Read, mistress; Miss Annie Cobb, infants’ mistress; average attendance, 166; there is a house for the teachers
British (Boy’s), Beaudesert, established 1813, for 200 children; average attendance 130; Mr. Spooner, Master
Leighton Buzzard Observer, High street, Henry Jackson, publisher; pub. Tuesday. See Advertisemen
Leighton Weekly Reporter & Advertiser, High street & Market square, Rush & Warwick, proprietors; pub. Friday
RAILWAY STATION, George Cable, station master
CONVEYANCE - An omnibus leaves the Swan hotel to meet all trains for all parts of the town
CARRIERS, with the places they go to, inns they call at & days of departure
Agent to London & North Western Co. William Towers, Swan hotel, High street
Agent to Sutton, James Wilson, High street
DAGNALL - Jones, ‘Sun,’ tues.
DRAYTON - Viccars, Market square, tues. & fri.
DUNSTABLE - Amos, ‘Roebuck,’ tues. & fri.
EATON BRAY - Rollings, ‘Coach & Horses,’ tues. & fri. Scott, from Market place, tues.
EDLESBOROUGH - Mead, ‘Sun,’ tues. & fri.
FENNY STRATFORD - Scott, ‘Black Horse,’ tues.
GREAT BRICKHILL - King, ‘Roebuck,’ tues. & fri.; Scott, ‘Black Horse,’ tues. & fri.
HEATH & REACH - Stone, ‘Cross Keys,’ daily
HOCKLIFFE - Amos, ‘Roebuck,’ tues. & fri.; Overy, ‘Bell,’ tues. & fri.; Stevens, ‘Peacock,’ tues. & fri.
IVINGHOE - Elliot, ‘Sun’, tues.
LUTON - Amos, ‘Roebuck,’ tues. & fri.
NORTHALL - Simmons, Market square, tues. & sat.
RIDGMONT - Williamson, ‘Greyhound,’ tues.
SOULBURY - King, ‘Coach & Horses,’ Viccars, Market square, tues. & fri.
STEWKLEY - King, ‘Red Lion,’ tues. & fri.; Chappel, Market square, tues, fri. & sat.
TEBWORTH - Hyde, ‘Curriers Arms,’ tues.
TODDINGTON - Fletcher, ‘Greyhound,’ tues.
TOTTERNHOE - Robinson, ‘Unicorn,’ tues.
WHADDON - King, ‘Coach & Horses,’ tues.
WING - Dimmock, ‘Cross Keys,’ daily; Lovel, Market place, tues. & sat.; Chappel, ‘Coach & Horses,’ tues. & fri. & Brand, ‘Unicorn,’ tues.
WINGRAVE - Harris, ‘Black Horse,’ tues & thurs.
WOBURN - Norman, ‘Greyhound,’ tues.
Ashdown Levi, Grove house
Ashdown Richard Gibson, Grove house
Bache Captain Edwin, Naples villa, Hockliffe road
Barber Charles, Grove road
Bassett Francis J.P., The Heath
Bassett Frederick J.P. The Knolls
Baumbrough William, Grove road
Bonham George, Grove road
Brantom William, The Lawns, Heath road
Brown Edmond, The Lodge
Brown Gabriel, Grove road
Brown George, Grove road
Bushell The Misses, Claremont, South st.
Calcott Chas. Wallis Berkeley, Church sq.
Calcott Geo.Lancelot Berkeley, Church sq.
Canning Philip S. South street
Carpenter Benjamin, Beaudesert
Chew Frank, North street
Claridge Charles, Lake street
Claridge Miss, Lake street
Clench Henry S. Church square
Clough W.T. Greenhurst, Grove road
Collier Aubrey J. Fermain, Dudley street
Cooke Francis, Hockliffe road
Cooper Henry, Heath road
Crecy Mrs. Grove road
Dixon Thomas, Grove road
Draper George, sen. Grove road
Durrell Rev. George [Baptist], Grove road
Edwards Edward, Holmeside, Heath rd.
Elliston Rev. William Delf [Baptist], Hockliffe road
Emery Edward, The Firs, Hockliffe rd.
Emery Frederick, Albion house
Flint Miss, Lake street
Franklin John, Grove road
Franklin Mrs. Grove road
Garside George, jun. Grove road
Glaisyer Miss, Dudley street
Gotto Mrs. The Terrace, Heath road
Green William, Eversholt ho. Grove pl.
Greening Alfred, Dudley street
Grice Miss, Heathwood
Harris Charles, Atherstone, Beaudesert
Harris Gregory, North street
Harris Henry Edward, The Bank house
Harris Johnstone Delavil John, Bridge ho.
Harris Miss, Church square
Harris Theodore J.P. F.R.G.S. The Cedars
Harris Tindall, The Bank house
Hedges John Alexander, Rutland house
Herington Joseph, Grove road
Hopkins Henry James, Billington road
Hopkins The Misses, Beaudesert
Hopkins Mrs. North street
Hopkins Samuel, Grove place
Hopkins Samuel, Hockliffe road
Jackson Surgn.-Maj. Warwick, Heath rd.
Janes Mrs. Beaudesert
Jones Rev. William T. [Wesleyan] Hockliffe road
Kent Miss, Hockliffe road
King Miss, Lake street
Langmore. Rev. Erskine William M.A. [sen.curate], Beaudesert
Lawford Edwd. M.D. J.P. Oriel house
Lawrence Joseph Thomas, Bridge st.
Lee James Tipson, Grove road
Loke John, Heath road
Mack Rev. John [Wesleyan], Hockliffe st.
Mackintosh The Misses, Grove road
Middleton Samuel Radley, Grove road
Mitchell Rev. George [Primitive Methodist], Western place, Ashwell street
Mobley James, Linslade
Newton John, Church square
Olney Albert E. High street
Page William Sharp, The Elms, High st.
Palmer Mrs. Dudley street
Penton Frederick, Eyensbury, Grove rd.
Pettifer Albert T. Albert cottage
Pettit Henry, High street
Pettit James, Ravenstone, High street
Pettit William, Hockliffe street
Pledger Frederick, Lake street
Pratt Walter, Bridge street
Price Miss, Beaudesert
Readman William, Arundel house, Ashwell street
Richards Rev. Thomas Wallis M.A. [vicar, chaplain to workhouse & surrogate] Vicarage
Richmond Robert, High street
Roberts Francis, Lake street
Robinson Henry James, Hockliffe street
Rogers Mrs. Beaudesert
Rowe Mrs. Dudley street
Ruggles Charles Frederick, Gas Works ho.
Rumball James Quilter, High street
Sandell Henry William Adrian
Sear Mrs. Hockliffe road
Seedhouse William, Grove road
Sell Charles Brown, Bridge street
Spendlove William, Grove road
Stedman Frederick, North street
Stevens Thomas, Grove road
Steward Miss Louisa Villiers, Beaudesert
Swinstead John, Heath road
Swire John Samuel, Leighton house
Thorogood Thomas, Grove road
Tindall John, Beech house, High street
Tindall Robert, The White house
Tompkins Mrs. Hockliffe street
Tonge Robert T. Beaudesert
Turner Mrs. Grove place
Wagstaff Ernest Hamilton, Church sq.
Wagstaff Philip Wynter, Church square
Walker Richard, Lake street
Watson Rev. George M.A. [curate], Western place
White Mrs. Grove road
Willis David Thomas, North street
Willis Frederic, Lindula, Heath road
Willis George, Hockliffe road
Willis Henry, Parsonage close
Willis Mrs. Hockliffe road
Willson Reuben, Woodbine cottage, Heath road
Yirrell Thomas, Bridge street
Yirrell Henry, Hockliffe road
Young William Wood, The Hollies, North street
Adams Frederick, timber merchant, builder & contractor, Church street
Adkins James, shopkeeper, Lake street
Agutter John, furniture warehouse, North street
Alexander B. [Mrs.], Leighton high school for girls, Bridge st.
Alexander George Wm. pianoforte manufacturer, Lake st.
Allam William Richard, Dolphin P.H. Hockliffe road
Andrew George, Black Lion P.H. High street
Anstee Joseph, pig dealer, Mill road
Archer Harry Holmes, Nag’s Head P.H. Mill road
Arnold George, silver sand & peat merchant, orchid peat speciality, Ashwell street
Ashdown Brothers, pale, strong & bitter ales, stout & porter brewers, maltsters, The Brewery
Ashwell Ezra Gill, engineer, Albany road
Atkins Alfred, shopkeeper, Plantation road
Atterton Tom, organ builder [established 1857], High street
Austin David, baker, Plantation road
Aveline George Gamaliel, cabinet manufacturer, upholsterer & furniture remover, Lake street
Ayres Matilda [Mrs.], White Lion P.H. Church street
Baker John Charles, butcher, North street
Baldwin Elizabeth [Mrs], shopkeeper, Church street
Bardell Margaret [Mrs], fishmonger, North street
Baumbrough William Henry, grocer, tea & general provision dealer, High street
Bedfordshire Leighton Buzzzard Bank [Bassett, Son & Harris]; head office, High street; draw on Barclay, Bevan & Co. London; branches at Newport Pagnell & Dunstable; sub-branches
At Fenny Stratford; Olney; Toddington & Woburn [partners, Francis Bassett J.P. Theodore
Harris J.P. Frederick Bassett J.P. John Tindall & Richard Littleboy.]
Bedfordshire Regiment 3rd Volunteer Battalion [I Co.] [Major W.J. Hambling, commandant; Sergt. Charles Gray, drill instructor]; head quarters, Town Hall
Bedfordshire South Liberal Registration Association [Theodore Harris esq. J.P. president; David Thomas Willis esq. sec.]
Billington John B. & Son, boot & shoe makers, Lake street
Bishop E.J. & Sons, sand merchants, & Eagle inn, Billington road
Bishop Thomas Handy, saddler & harness maker, Corn markt.
Bland John, sewing machines sold & practically repaired, & boot maker, Dudley street
Bransom James, miller [steam], Plantation road
Brantom George, upholsterer, North street
Brantom Thomas, corn merchant, North street
Brantom William, furniture warehouse, North street
Briggs Jesse, fruiterer, Hockliffe street
Brown George & Son, agricultural engineers, Victoria iron works, Lake street
Brown Henry, Carpenters’ Arms, P.H. Bassett road
Brown Henry, timber dealer & saw mill proprietor, Mill rd
Brown Thomas, assistant overseer, vaccination officer to the union & sanitary inspector & surveyor to rural authority, collector of assessed & property tax & poor rates, North st.
Brown William, baker, grocer & general provision merchant, Plantation road
Bruton Thomas, butcher St. Andrew’s street
Bull William, shopkeeper, Heath road
Bunn Abel, draper, North street
Burr Thomas, watch & clock maker, Lake street
Burrin William, grocer, Lake street
Butcher George, boot & shoe maker, North street
Butcher George, ironmonger, Corn market
Calcott George Lancelot Berkeley, solicitor, see Newton, Calcott & Calcott
Calcott Chas. Wallis Berkeley [firm, Newton Calcott & Calcott], solicitor, & joint registrar to county court, High st.
Capel Alfred, straw plait dealer, Church street
Carver Annie [Mrs.], steam aerated & mineral water manufacturer, Hockliffe street
Cash & Co. boot & shoe manufacturers, Bridge street
Cemetery [Henry Pettit, clerk to the burial board], Miletree road
Chalmers John, general dealer, Billington road
Chamberlain Frederick, boot & shoe warehouse, Market sq.
Chamberlain George, shoe maker, Church street
Chandler Thomas, grocer, Church street
Church Thomas, confectioner, cook & sweet manufacturer, wholesale & retail, Bridge street
Claridge Henry, boot maker, Church street
Claridge Mary Ann [Mrs.], confectioner, Hockliffe street
Claridge William, dairy farmer, North street
Coles William Edwin, chemist & druggist, High street
Collis William George, relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths for Leighton Buzzard district, Workhouse
Cook David & Sons, builders & contractors, Ashwell street
Cook Charles James, grocer, tea dealer & general provision dealer, Church street
Cook Frederick, The Peacock P.H. Lake street
Cook Samuel, grocer, Lake street
Cooper Emily [Miss], milliner, North street
Cooper Samuel, ironmonger, Market square
Corn Exchange [George Gibbs, hallkeeper], Lake street
Cornish Stephen, agricultural implement maker & iron & brass founder, Lake street
County Court [His Honor William H. Holl Q.C. judge; John Newton & Charles Wallis Berkeley Calcott, registrars; W. Baker, high bailiff] Town hall
Crabtree John & Son, wool staplers, Lake street
Crook George Charles, fellmonger, parchment manufacturer & wool rug dresser & dyer, South street
Cumberland & Hopkins, auctioneers & estate agents
Dawson Albert Edward, builder, Woburn road
Deeley George, baker & general corn factor, High street
Deeley Sarah [Mrs.], shopkeeper, Hockliffe street
Deeley William George, baker, Church street
Dimmock Thomas, greengrocer, Lake street
Dimmock William Charles, Boot P.H. Market square
Dowson Sarah [Mrs.], Ewe & Lamb P.H. Bridge street
Drage John, baker & parish clerk, Hockliffe street
Ellingworth Charles, carriage builder, Lake street
Ellingworth Elizabeth [Mrs.], grocer, Church street
Ellingworth Thomas, bicycle, tricycle & perambulator maker & repairer, Church street
Emery Frederick, grocer, & agent for W. A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, High street
Everett David, dyer, High street
Farmer Richard, gun maker & cycle agent & repairer, North street
Flavell Thomas, umbrellas recovered & repaired on the shortest notice, North street
Folks William, coach builder, Beaudesert
Fortnum Edward, naturalist, North street
Foster Alfred, skin, hide & pig dealer, North street
Fountain Coffee & Commercial House [John Langston manager], High street
Frank Charles E., temperance hotel, Lake street
Franklin John, tailor, Grove road
Frost Ezra William, boot & shoe maker, Dudley street
Frost Harry, draper, Market square
Frost Richard Jones, watch maker, North street
Gale George, Ram P.H. St. Andrew’s street & Bell inn, Market square
Garland Henry, grocer, North street
Garside George, builder, Hockliffe road
Garside George, Jun. silver sand & peat merchant, Grove road
Gates John, butcher, North street
Geeves Charles, farmer, Union street
Geeves Harriett [Mrs.], grocer, Vandyke road
Geeves James, greengrocer, North street
Gibbs James, tailor, Hockliffe street
Gibbs Thomas, house furnisher, High street
Gifford John, clothier, High street
Gilbert James, millwright & engineer, boiler manufacturer & machinery broker
Gilbert Samuel, baker, Lake street
Gilbert William James, grocer, Regent street
Ginger Joseph, Golden Bell P.H. Church square; market dinner every tuesday from 10.30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Glaisyer Edward, wholesale & family grocer, tea, coffee & provision dealer, seedsman &c. Market square
Goodson William, blacksmith, Hockliffe street
Gotzheim Margaret [Mrs.], Crown P.H. North street
Grace Alfred, butcher, Church street
Grace Edward, corn factor & flour & forage merchant, High street
Grace Jane [Mrs.], straw hat manufacturer, Church street
Grace Richard, butcher, High street
Grantham Miss, dress maker, Bridge street
Grantham John, boot maker, Church square
Gray Sergt. Charles, drill instructor to the I Co. of the 3rd Vol. Batt, Beds Regiment, Dudley street
Green George Faulkner, furnishing ironmonger
Green William & Son, grocers, maltsters & wine merchants, High street
Greening Charles, hay, corn & straw dealer, Sun inn, Lake street
Greening John Clark, rounds of beef & noted beefsteak puddings every Tuesday from 10.30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cross Keys P.H. Market place
Groom William, grocer, South street
Guess Sarah [Miss], toy & fancy repository, berlin wool & ladies’ fancy needlework warehouse, stationery & servants’ registry, High street
Gurney Henry, lodging house, St. Andrew’s street
Gutteridge Dennis, Curriers’ Arms P.H. Market square
Halford Edwin, fancy repository, Market square
Hall Edward, confectioner, North street
Hammond William, boot maker, Hockliffe street
Hardwick Joseph, Coach & Horses P.H. Lake street
Harris & Co. curriers & leather sellers & dealers in every requisite for the boot trade, North street
Harris Gregory, silver & building sand owner [freeholder] & peat merchant, Lake street
Harris Johnstone Delavil John L.R.C.P. Edin. Surgeon, Bridge house
Hart Abram, shopkeeper, Hockliffe road
Hart Charles, builder, Vandyke road
Hart Frederick, shopkeeper, St. Andrew’s street
Hart Philip, auctioneer, High street
Hart William, boot & shoe maker, Vandyke road
Haskins, Charles, grocer, High street
Haskins, John, hair dresser, High street
Hawkins George, grocer, Lake street
Heckford Albert E. Bridge hotel, Bridge street
Hedges Alma Louisa [Mrs.], milliner, Hockliffe street
Hedges John Alexander, surgeon, Rutland house
Hemley Thomas, shopkeeper, Heath road
Herington Joseph, pharmaceutical chemist, Market square
Hill Henry, chimney sweep & builder; all kind of ranges & coppers set, Vandyke road
Holland Mark, wheelwright, Vandyke road
Holtom Edward, shopkeeper, Mill road
Hopkins Benjamin, farmer, Grovebury
Hopkins Henry, Roebuck P.H. Hockliffe road
Hopkins John, cattle dealer, Hockliffe street
Hopkins Joseph, jun. farmer
Hopkins Joseph, sen. Farmer, King’s farm
Hopkins Thomas, cattle dealer, Lake street
Hughes Charles James, sewing machine agent, Hockliffe street
Indian Empire Tea Co. Market square
Inns Henry, plumber, Hockliffe street
Jackson Henry, printer & stationer, High street
Janes Edward, cattle dealer, Hockliffe street
Janes George, Prince of Wales P.H. Hockliffe road
Janes John, dairyman, Hockliffe street
Jennings Michael, draper, Bridge street
Johnson George, tailor, breeches & ladies riding habit maker, High street
Johnson John, tailor, Hockliffe street
Johnson William, tailor, Hockliffe street
Jones John, printer, Bridge street
Kempster David, musical instrument warehouse, Corn market
Kempster William, boot maker, Church street
Kempster William, hair dresser, North street
Kenney E. restaurant; dealer in game & general provision merchant, Hockliffe street
Killbey Robert, veterinary surgeon, Hockliffe road
King Henry John, tobacconist, Market square
King James, manufacturing confectioner, Hockliffe street
King Thomas, butcher, Market place
Kiteley David, watch maker, Hockliffe road
Labrum Joseph R. [postal address Stanbridge], coal order office, Hockliffe street
Lamb John, watch & clock maker, High street
Lancaster Frederick, shopkeeper, St. Andrew’s street
Lawford Edward, M.D. surgeon, Oriel house, Lake street
Lawrence Joseph Thomas, architect & surveyor, Bridge st.
Leighton Buzzard Observer [Henry Jackson, publisher; published tuesday], High street. See advertisment
Leighton Buzzard Co-operative Stores [Robert George Seems, manager], Beaudesert
Leighton Buzzard Gas & Coke Co. [Charles Frederick Ruggles, sec. & manager]
Leighton Buzzard Penny Bank [Samuel Radley Middleton, assistant sec.; open mon. from 6 to 7 p.m.], North street
Leighton Buzzard Weekly Reporter & Advertiser [Rush & Warwick, proprietors; published fri.], High street and Market square
Leighton Buzzard Working Men’s Club & Institute [Theodore Harris esq. J.P. president; C.F. Ruggles, treasurer; James D. Kennett sec. & manager], North streeet
Leighton Horticultural Society [Leopold de Rothschild esq. pres.; William T. Clough, sec.], Grove road
London & County Banking Co. Limited [James Quilter Rumball, manager][branch], High street; draw on head office, 21 Lombard street, London E.C.
Lucas Edwin, butcher, Market square
Luck John, carriage builder, Bridge street
Luck Thomas James, general draper, outfitter & hatter, High street & North street
Lucking George, tobacconist, Lake street
Mallett Robert Thomas, grocer, Lake street
Masters John, grocer, North street
Maultby Ann [Miss], baker, North street
Mead James Joseph, paperhanger, Lake street
Mead William, shopkeeper, Church street
Meager James, coach builder, Lake street
Mills James, secondhand clothes dealer, North street
Mims James, stone mason, monumental mason & sculptor, Vandyke road
Morgan Messrs. & Co. Limited [late King], carriage builders, Bridge street; & at 10 Old Bond street w & Long Acre w c, London
Morgan Emma [Miss], dress maker, Hockliffe street
Muirhead James, school, Hockliffe street
Munday Henry John, baker, Plantation road
Munday Thomas Henry, watch & clock maker, Bridge street
Nash John, brush maker, High street
Nash Thomas William, dairyman, Church street
Nash William, brush manufacturer, North street
Newton Charles, Plume of Feathers hotel, Lake street
Newton, Calcott & Calcott, solicitors, High street
Newton John [firm Newton, Calcott & Calcott], solicitor, joint registrar to county court, superintendent registrar, clerk to board of guardians, to rural sanitary authority, to school attendance & assessment committees, to magistrates and to commissioner of taxes for the south division of the three Hundreds of Cottesloe, High street
Nutt Charles William, insurance agent, Dudley street
Olney William, grocer, Hockliffe street
Panter George, chimney sweep, Friday street
Panting Daniel, wood turner, Hockliffe street
Paprocki Theodore, hair dresser, Market street
Parker Frederick, market gardener, Heath road
Parkins David, grocer, North street
Parrott William, grocer, Church street
Parsons William Henry, grocer, North street
Partridge Jessee, insurance agent, Hockliffe road
Paton Brasington, farrier & smith, Lake street
Payne George, grocer, North street
Pearson William, Bell & Woolpack P.H. Lake street
Peers John, inland revenue officer, Billington road
Pettit James & Co. wine & spirit merchants, Corn exchange
Pettit Henry, solicitor, & clerk to burial board, High street
Peverill Elizabeth [Miss], shopkeeper, Vandyke road
Pheasant Mary [Miss], dress maker, Sandy lane
Phillips Ellen [Mrs.], greengrocer, Bridge street
Piggott Theodore, photographic artist, High street
Pointer Charles, boot & shoe maker, Lake street
Pool William, farmer, South street
Porter Edward Charles, saddler, Church square
Pratt David, market gardener, Plantation road
Pratt Thomas, beer retailer, Heath road
Pratt Walter L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon to London & North Western Railway & certifying factory surgeon, Bridge street
Pratt William James, Black Horse P.H. & aerated & mineral water manufacturer, North street
Presswell Edwin Thomas, Wheatsheaf P.H. North street
Preston William, fruiterer, North street
Price Cornelius, hatter, Market square
Price L.M. [Miss], ladies school, Beaudesert
Provident Dispensary [Edward Lawford M.D. consulting physician; Robert Tindall, hon. Sec.], The
White house, Hockliffe street
Purrett Richard [late Young], pianoforte, organ & harmonium warehouse, organ builder, tuner & music seller, High street
Purser John & Richard, plumbers, High street
Purser Ann [Mrs.], dress maker, Vandyke road
Read Thomas, boot maker, Hockliffe street
Read Thomas, leather cutter, Hockliffe street
Reeve John, shoe maker, Bridge street
Reeve Sarah [Miss], dress maker, Hockliffe street
Reeve Thomas, shopkeeper, Church street
Rice Martha [Mrs.], shopkeeper, North street
Richardson Harry, Greyhound P.H. Market square
Richmond Robert, pharmaceutical chemist, High street
Rickett Thomas, carman, Union street
Riddy George James, sole proprietor & patentee of Riddy’s wonderful liniment, Hockliffe street
Ridgway & Pledger, wholesale & retail linen & woollen drapers, silk mercers, haberdashers, hosiers, glovers, lacemen, costumiers & outfitters, London house
Roberts George, blacksmith, Bedford street
Roberts George, builder, Beaudesert
Roberts George, tailor, Plantation road
Robinson George, saddler, Hockliffe street
Robinson James, manufacturer of hampers, flats, sieves & all kinds of baskets, Lake street
Robinson John, King’s Arms P.H. North street
Rogers Walter John Buffalo P.H. North street
Rootham Alfred, upholsterer, North street
Rowe E.J. [Mrs.], school, Dudley street
Rumball James Quilter, manager of London & County Bank, High street
Rush & Warwick, stationers, Market place
Rush David, stationer, High street
Salter William, tailor, High street
Samuel W.H. & Son, china & glass dealers & coopers, Hockliffe street
Samuel John B. onion, potato & cucumber grower, Hockliffe street
Sandell Henry Wm. Adrian L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon, medical officer of health to rural sanitary authority, public vaccinator & medical officer Leighton Buzzard district & Upper district
& medical officer to workhouse
Sanders Henry, confectioner, Market square
Sanders Susan [Miss], infants’ school, Hockliffe street
Sanders Thomas, furniture dealer, Lake street
Saunders George, house decorator, Vandyke road
Saxton William Robert, butcher, Hockliffe street
Scott Caroline [Miss], dress maker, Hockliffe Street
Scott Mary [Miss], milliner, Hockliffe street
Scraggs Edwin, farmer, North street
Scrivener Henry Bunn, cab proprietor & job & post master, Bridge street
Sear John Algernon, tea dealer, Bridge street
Seedhouse William, chemist & druggist, proprietor & sole manufacturer of Lockhart’s emerald balm, Bridge street
Seems Robert George, manager Co-operative stores, Beaudesert
Sharp Elizabeth [Mrs.], gasfitter, North street
Sharp Henry, ironmonger, bellhanger, gas & hot water fitter, North street
Sharp William, shopkeeper, Vandyke road
Sheldon Mary Ann [Mrs.], milliner, Bridge street
Shepherd William, superintendent of police, Police station, Hockliffe road
Sheppard Alfred, secondhand clothes dealer, Lamsey
Simmons Frederick & Sons, millers [steam & water], The Mills
Smith John C. boot maker, North street
Smith Louisa [Mrs.], beer retailer, Heath road
Spahn Frederick, Falcon inn, Stanbridge road
Spendlove Messrs. William & Sons, silk mercers, linen drapers, hosiers, costumiers, milliners & mantle warehousemen, Market place
Spiers Joseph, ironmonger & silversmith, High street
Stairs John, town crier, North street
Stedman Frederick, surgeon, North street
Stevens Henry James, assistant bailiff, St. Andrew’s street
Stevens James, family & commercial hotel; good stabling; billiards, The Unicorn P.H. Lake street
Stevens Samuel, assistant bailiff & collector of market tolls, St. Andrew’s street
Stevens Samuel, shopkeeper, St. Andrew’s street
Syrett George, carman, Lake street
Tattam Edward, wine & spirit merchant, High street
Tavener Charles, grocer, Lake street
Taylor Frederick, watch & clock maker, High street
Tearle Emily S. [Mrs.], draper, High street
Temperance Hall [Thos. Sanders, hallkeeper], Lake street
Tompkins Humphrey, farmer, Leedon
Tooley Alfred W. [late Simmons & Sons], wholesale & retail forage contractor, Market square
Towers William Green, Swan commercial hotel & posting house & agent to the London & North Western Railway Co. High street
Town Hall [Samuel Stevens, hallkeeper], Market place
Travell James, baker, High street
Trotter Edward, florist, Vandyke road
Turner Harriett [Miss], dress maker, Dudley street
Turney Herbert, baker, Hockliffe street
Tutt Alfred E. builder, contractor & carpenter, Dudley street
Tutt George B. builder, Sandy lane
Uff James & Son, butchers, Hockliffe street
Underwood Annie [Mrs.], dress maker, Church street
Underwood James, carpenter, Church street
Underwood Matthew, Ashwell Arms inn, Ashwell street
Underwood Thomas, carpenter, Church street
Usher Charles, shopkeeper, Heath road
Wagstaff Philip Wynter & Son, surgeons, Church square
Wallace John, tailor, Hockliffe street
Watling Brothers, general drapery, hat & outfitting stores, North street
Webb James, tailor, High street
Webster John, farmer, Billington road
Webster William, Red Lion P.H. North street
Welch Bryan, coal merchant, Market square
Wheeler James, fancy draper, North street
Whitby Thomas, confectioner, Hockliffe street
White John & Co. wine & spirit merchants, agents for Burgoyne’s australian wines & Lorne whiskey, North street
Willard George, grocer, High street
Williams William, wheelwright, Lake street
Willis F. & D.T. solicitors, High street
Willis David Thomas, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, see Willis F. & D.T.
Willis Frederic, solicitor, see Willis F. & D.T.
Willis George, solicitor, see Willis F. & D.T.
Willson James, boot & shoe warehouse, High street
Wilson George, Royal Oak P.H. Friday street
Wood James Joseph, cook, confectioner & purveyor for wedding breakfasts, High street
Woodman Emily [Miss], dress maker, Hockliffe street
Woodman Veere, house decorator, Lake street
Yirrell Charles, butcher, High street
Yirrell Henry, farmer, Hockliffe road
Yirrell Samuel, butcher, High street
Yirrell Thomas, monumental mason & sculptor, stone mason, building contractor, brick, gravel, sand & cement merchant & building material dealer, Bridge street
Young Thomas, butcher, Lake street