1890 Kelly's Directory - HEATH & REACH
HEATH and REACH form a hamlet in the civil
parish of Leighton Buzzard, and a separate ecclesiastical parish, situated
on the borders
of Bucks, nearly 2 miles north from Leighton Buzzard, in the Southern division
of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division, union and
county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable,
archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The village is remarkable and
picturesque, covering several hills and valleys, with pleasant landscapes
stretching away into the distance with beautiful woods and plantations.
The church of St. Leonard, rebuilt in the year 1829 (with the exception
of the tower), is a plain, modern building in the Gothic style, consisting
of chancel and nave, and a low embattled western tower containing one bell;
the chancel was added, and the whole church newly seated in 1866. The earlier
register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard, which dates from 1562
: there is a separate register from the year 1813. The living is a vicarage,
tithe rent-charge £20, net yearly value £290, including 1 acre
of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard,
and held since 1863 by the Rev. Joseph Orlando Stallard M.A. of Lincoln
College, Oxford. The vicarage house was built in 1852, and enlarged in
1869. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, built in 1863, and Wesleyan
chapels, built 1877. A cemetery was provided for this place in 1850, the
land being the gift of Mrs. Knight, of Mursley. There is a reading room
supported by donations and subscriptions. The poor's land produces £13
yearly for fuel. Rushmere Lodge is the seat of Dr. John Walter Pritchard.
Sir Edward Henry Hanmer bart. who is lord of the manor, Mr. Swinstead,
Messrs. Britten and Claridge and Mr. Bushell are the principal landowners.
The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The land comprises arable,
woodland and meadow. A white sand is dug here at a depth of many feet from
the surface, and is use for making glass. The area is 3,190 acres; rateable
value, $,590; the population in 1881 was 1,075.
Parish Clerk, James J. Rayner.
POST OFFICE - Amos Roberts, receiver.
Letters through Leighton Buzzard delivered at 7.25 a.m. & 4.40 p.m.;
sundays 7.25 a.m. Box cleared at 9.10 a.m. & 6.40 p.m. & sundays
at 9.20 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Leighton
National School (mixed), rebuilt, with house for mistress,
in 1862-4, for 100 children; average attendance, 70; Charles Martin,
master & Mrs.
Martin, mistress; (infants') added in 1876, for 84 children; average
attendance, 81; Miss Rosa Derry, mistress
CARRIER TO LEIGHTON BUZZARD.
- Stone, daily
Bushell John L. Heath House
Chew James Fermor, Oakbank
Clements Mrs Daisy villa
Eden John Arthur M.A.
Hawkes William, Atterton villa
Pritchard Dr. Jn. Waltr. Rushmere lodge
Smith Mrs Cherry villa
Stallard Rev. Joseph Orlando M.A. Vicarage
Stone Mrs. Cherry villa
Bates Edward, miller (wind)
Belgrove George, butcher
Belgrove Thomas, Red Lion P.H.
Bird William, horse clipper
Bowden John, farmer
Boyce John, general dealer
Brantom Charles, higgler
Brantom Harry, baker
Brantom James, shopkeeper
Brantom Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Britten John, farmer & landowner
Broom Walter F. baker & hay, straw & coal merchant
Broom Walter Francis, school attendance officer for Leighton Buzzard
rural sanitary committee
Broom William, farmer
Bushell John L. farmer & landowner & silver sand merchant
Clark James, butcher
Croxford John, butcher
Dancer Thomas, blacksmith
Dimmock Amos, bricklayer
Duncombe James, Duke's Head P.H.
Holmes Thomas, farmer & miller (wind)
Hopkins Lizzie (Miss), shopkeeper
Hopkins Mrs. baker
Major Charles, Axe & Crown P.H.
Miles Amos, builder, contractor, undertaker & carpenter
Miller Joseph, photographer
Parrott Robert, farmer
Pearson George, coal & iron agent, Shenley house
Powell Charles, veterinary surgeon
Rayner James, wheelwright; traps & vans thoroughly repaired
Reeve Thomas, jun. blacksmith
Roberts Amos, tailor, Post office
Rose John, grocer
Stevens Fredk. shopkpr. & horse clipper
Swinstead Thomas, farmer
Venemore Joseph, shopkeeper
Whitehead Edmund, Star P.H.
Whittaker Frederick, builder & shopkpr.
Williamson Thos., farmer, Overend farm