1890 Kelly's Directory - EGGINGTON
EGGINGTON is a hamlet in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, from
which town it is 2.5 miles east and 5.5 miles north-west from Dunstable:
been formed into a separate eccesiastical parish, in the Southern division
of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division, union and
county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable,
archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Michael
is a small building of the 13th century, in the Early English and Early
Decorated styles, consisting of chancel and nave and a small western
turret, containing 2 bells, and there is a trefoiled Decorated piscina
in the south wall: the church was entirely restored in 1883, at a cost
of £1,200, when a beautiful stained east window was erected to
the memory of Rev. T.L.J. Sunderland M.A. formerly curate of the parish:
the font dates from the 12th century: the church will seat 140 persons.
The earlier register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard and dates
from the year 1653, but there is now a separate register for the parish.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the parishioners, and held since
1881 by the Rev. James Sunderland LL.M. and M.A. of Emmanuel College,
Cambridge. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan, chapels. The town lands,
of 120 acres, produce £200 yearly, of which one moiety is paid
to the vicar, and the remainder applied to the church and the poor. The
principal landowners are Messrs. William Claridge and William Smith and
John Warner Adams esqs. Of Hockliffe House, Leighton Buzzard. The soil
is loamy; subsoil clay. The chief crops are grass, wheat and barley.
area is 1,300 acres; rateable value, £2,074; the population in
1881 was 274.
CLIPSTONE is a portion of this hamlet, situated 1 mile north.
Clerk, Charles Baker.
SUB-POST OFFICE - David Stevens, receiver. Letters
through Leighton Buzzard arrive at 7 a.m. and 12 noon; dispatched at
6.30 p.m. week days only.
The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hockliffe.
place is included in Stanbridge, Eggington & Tilsworth United
School Board district, formed in 1874.
Board School [mixed], erected
in 1880, for 60 children; average attendance, 42; Mrs. Kate Hunt,
Powell William Langley, Langley cot.
Sunderland Rev. Jas. LL.M. M.A. [vicar]
Wigham Eustace, Eggington house
Adams John, farmer, Clipstone
Batchelar Ezra, farmer
Dunton Fred, beer retailer
Edwards Henry & Sons, carpenters, builders & contractors
Hunt Herbert, shoe maker
Inns William John, farmer
Janes Charles, farmer
Olney George farmer
Stevens David, shopkeeper
Tillett William, The Horse Shoes P.H.