Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick
1864 Post Office Trade Directory - STANBRIDGE

STANBRIDGE is a hamlet, in the parish of Leighton Buzzard, 3 miles east-by-south from Leighton Buzzard, and about 4 north-west from Dunstable, in the hundred of Manshead, union of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. James has a square embattled tower with 5 bells. The living, valued at £100 per annum, is in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard; the Rev. Gregory Edward Whyley, M.A., is the incumbent. The straw plait business gives occupation to a great many persons. Here are three Sunday schools, and two Wesleyan chapels. The population in 1861 was 554; the acreage is 1,400; the soil is principally arable, with a few enclosures of meadow land.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Eames.

Buckmaster Thomas, farmer
Burridge John, farmer
Eames David, plait dealer & baker
Eames Joseph, Five Bells
Fletcher Ezra, baker
Flint John, baker
Flint John, boot & shoe maker
Franklin Andrews, farmer
Franklin John, farmer
Dagsden Thomas, farmer
Goodman Jesse, straw plait dealer
Gurney John, farmer
Hopkins Henry, farmer
Horn William, boot & shoe maker
Olney Charles, Red Lion, & butcher
Olney John, farmer
Scott Joseph, tailor
Tims John, wheelwright
Tims Samuel, plait dealer
Wilkes Josiah, shopkeeper
Wilks Josiah, farmer & plait dealer
Letters received through Leighton Buzzard